Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gisil's Hunt


I'm a Hunter. I have a monster-hound who is blind. He's still the best, and he will be at my side until I die. I asked him once what he will do when I die – he was quiet for a long time.

We stay away from people because they aren't very comfortable with neither me nor Freykis. It's fine. I can't say I wouldn't act the same if the hound hadn't found me as a child.

There are monsters that will kill on sight. Some of them are human. They're called Killers, easy to remember huh? I was caught by a bunch of Killers, then Freykis appeared as if forming from the shadows themselves. I never understood why Freykis saved me, and he refuses to talk about it.

I guess he just liked my smell. When we sleep he stuffs his giant head under my cloak and groans whenever I move.

There's been something strange spreading through the forest and I know Freykis can feel it, but hasn't commented on it. Weird because other than particular personal questions, the hound is a critic of everything. I often have to grab one of his massive horns and yank his head to the side to quiet him down. Oddly enough the only thing he does not criticize are children. I think he has a fondness for them, or he just really wants pups.

Freykis stops, and lifts his head to the sky and inhales deeply through his nose. I watch a ripple travel through his fur as he shudders. A scar on my back aches. It is from Freykis stepping on me during my childhood rescue – his lethal claws had easily scraped into my soft flesh by mistake.

Just as I wonder what Freykis is scenting, he turns to me and shakes his head. The ache grows worse. I tell him my scar hurts, and he closes his eyes as if I just confirmed some inner dread. He tells me we have a new Hunt, and that we have to move fast.

Our actions will speak to either salvation, or the ruination of everything.

Freykis tells me that when I die he will sleep on my grave until I find him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment