Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lucia and Hektor

"As horrible as your crying makes me feel," Hektor said, "I know there is nothing I can say that will make it any better."

"But I just saw him!" Lucia cried into the phone, gripping the back of her kitchen chair with her free hand. Her knees were giving out on her, and she couldn't feel most of her body. "I saw him, he just left and he was fine. He was smiling and hugged me and was fine."

"This isn't a discussion we should be having on the phone..."

"This can't be right. He wouldn't do that!"

"As far as we can tell, he did."

"No," Lucia insisted, gripping the phone so tightly she heard the plastic casing crack in protest. "No he didn't."

"Lucia, you're going to give yourself a heart attack, please calm down and listen--"

"I'm not going to listen. I don't believe you!" Lucia hung up the phone and threw it against the wall. It broke in half before falling to pieces on the floor. She sank to her knees, propping herself up with her hands as her voice shifted from words to meaningless sobs and wails.

A heavy blanket landed around her shoulders, before the edges were pulled tight around her front. Lucia lifted her head to look at the worried expression of Meredith, who soundlessly wrapped her in an incorporeal hug and smoothed her hair. The next moment, Lucia felt herself rocking, then falling, surrounded by a fading lullaby that came from a distance she couldn't locate.

It still didn't make sense, but when did suicide ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment