Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Reason

"Ah," he said, canting his head to the side. "I think I see. I have never required such a thing, but there are plenty who would call me a psycho."

Mathias then let his confused expression slip away and lifted his weapon in a salute. So now he had a minor grasp of how this woman worked, how her mind clicked and ticked.

"Well," he continued, "I thank you for fighting with me, even if you find it pointless." He twirled his jagged blade and knelt down before her, laying his weapon over his knee.

Alaria let her hands fall to her sides. For the first time in her well battled and very long life, a creature of darkness surprised her. His head was bowed, so she couldn't see his face or any of the signals of what was running through his mind. Not that she was completely sure she'd be able read those signals; he was an enigma to her now.

"If it pleases my mistress," Mathias said, keeping his head bowed through Alaria could still see the rictus grin slicing through the shadows with perfect white, "perhaps she could give me a reason to fight, and then we will both be very much satisfied."

"A creature of darkness would so quickly shed his convictions to fight for the light?" Alaria asked, a frown marring her lovely features.

"A long time ago," Mathias said, his voice somehow muted and restrained, "a young girl told me that there is no absolutes in darkness nor light. Perhaps it is time for me to prove her correct."

No comments:

Post a Comment